Sunday, August 2, 2009

Reflection from Contentment






Dear Ladies,

When we were in Santa Fe downtown during the Christmas break, Doug introduced Mexican Sopaipilla to the children. Sopaipilla is a deep fried bread that puffs up like a sweater pocket blown hard by the wind. Taking a bite from the corner, gradually filling in with honey. Mmm, just a bite, you feel you grab the taste of happiness. The treat easily conquers our children's hearts and all agreed that this was the highlight of the trip.

Next day, we went to Taos Pueblo which boasts of over 1000 years of culture. Since American Indian Fry Bread was strongly recommended by the ranger, I bought one piece and shared by six of us. The Indian lady took the Fry Bread from the indoor Adobe oven and insisted the bread was a much better diet than any other like kind. The piece we got was somewhat dry and plain. As I was about to put the little piece into my month, the dog near me just patiently stared at me. Well, I decided to share half of it. Unlike the complaining kids, the dog happily got up, and honored us to tour the entire village.

The past couple months, the church sent a strong message regarding Advent Conspiracy: worship more, spend less, give more, love more. Lately, with so many depressing news flooding in, what is our level of contentment? Like eating Sopaipilla or Fry Bread?

As we contemplating the issue, let's share the church prayer request.

Happy New Year!

Best wishes,

Angie

Thank you, Angie, I enjoyed that--reminded me of my trip to Taos many many years ago during grad school. You are a writer too! To me, that means someone who thinks deeply about life, squeezing more appreciation and learning out of experiences than the average person, and shares those thoughts with others.

Margaret

Thank you for the meaningful and encouraging words, Angie. Contentment is the key to true joy. I am certainly grateful that I have Jesus. Without Him, nothing can satisfy! Let's continue to trun our eyes upon our Lord Jesus Christ, and run the race with endurance and faithfulness. Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment